Monday 9 June 2014

My Wildlife Garden: Start to finish

My wildlife garden which began construction at the beginning of 2013, after coming up with the idea over the Christmas holiday, has flourished from a rather bland, unattractive space to a vibrant, natural habitat for many species of flora and fauna!

 In the picture below it doesn't seem to be much of a wildlife garden does it, and the funny think is the more I tried to make it look natural the worse it seemed to look. After a while, I gave up a little. But who would have known that this lack of care and perfection actually helped my garden to develop! Here is the journey of my amazing wildlife garden to date:

I started by digging out the pond, lining it and securing it with wooden planks. I then used the same concept to create my path, which I then filled with cotswolds gravel. 





I made a wigwam out of bamboo canes and began to weave willow around it too allow me to grow sweat peas up it.


I hung my homemade bird box on a 'goalpost' like bar.


The addition of plants started to develop my garden enormastly, and even pippin loved to relax there!



I got some pond plants from a gardener in the village...


and started to grow sweet peas up the wigwam.


Heather was planted...


and more plants were bought to decorate the path.


I even put up bird boxes...


frog homes...


and made a hedgehog house.


As you can see after a while, my wildlife garden started to take shape!


And all my hard work was rewarded with an unusual visitor, a grey heron!


Here are some photos which show the biodiversity of my wildlife garden. I think I like its that something that may look like a weed may turn into a vivid, colourful foxglove. The absence of colour really changed the perception of a natural habitat.












No comments:

Post a Comment